Defeat is only temporary...
Given the farcical nature of politics, I expect we've not seen the last of ol' Binsy. After all, there were ten thousand voters in Clacton who voluntarily cast their ballots for a rubbish bin. A container full of garbage. It's actually pretty good branding when you think about it. The only thing more honest would be a candidate with a toilet bowl or a box of disposable diapers on their head.
Binface may well be the bastard child of Sarah Ferguson and Robot Chicken's humping robot...
The Duchess pictured on right
What next? What about a dead hamster? Or a spooge rag? Would the results be any different? Probably not.
I'll be honest: I have not done a deep dive on this. I don't know who Binface is, who may be behind his candidacy, or if the whole thing is designed to take the piss out of British electoral politics. I'm only sharing these observations because it amuses me. I don't give one single shit about Clacton. Hell, I don't even know for sure where it is.
But I do know something about the nature of politics.
If Binface had won, there would be no distinguishable difference to the constituency of Clacton. In countries that call themselves "democracies", the leaders are popularly elected. Ostensibly. So, it is a popularity contest. It is the very nature of any popularity contest to draw a certain type: the Narcissist. Is it any wonder then, that participants in the electoral process are ever disappointed?
Maybe they are all going about this the wrong way. Maybe, instead of elections, there should be a draft. They keep getting people who want the job. Badly. Too badly. That should be a clue right there. Desperation has an unmistakable stench.
Instead of having a system where office holders literally thirst for power and authority, we could instead have a system where the duty is regarded as an onerous task. A job that NO ONE should want. Twenty-four months and you're done. Next! There are a multitude of arguments that may be mustered against this idea, but to each of those I counter with this: Would it be any worse than having a rubbish bin in charge?
No comments:
Post a Comment